Friday 16 January 2015

Working the Pattern Clash

Hi everyone,

Today's post is based on a topic that I LOVE...Pattern Clashing! :) :) Now, when I am styling a customer at work and I ask them if they would be interested in opting for a pattern clash, I get the same reaction that I would if I asked them to run around the store in their underwear haha. I understand that it isn't a look everyone will be that fond of, but for those who are curious, this post will give you a few tips and tricks as to how you can ROCK it!

1 . Don't be afraid 

First off, this look is all about having the nerve to wear it, and why shouldn't you?! Fashion has a lot of trends embedded in it, but style is all about what you do with them. What it boils down to is experimenting and deciding if you want to go for a full on outfit that is pattern clashing, or maybe you would prefer to just work with accessories such as shoes, a handbag or a scarf. When I first wore a pattern clash, (I'll not lie), I caught sight of myself in the mirror at work and thought, seriously Emma what are you doing?! Whenever you wear something that you aren't used to, i.e. stepping out of your comfort zone, it does take a bit of time to get used to, but sooner or later you will find what works for you, and you can base your outfit around that. Have I convinced anyone yet?

2 . Leopard print and pattern

No matter what print your outfit is if you are going for the pattern clash look, you can be guaranteed that leopard print will go with it. A great example in the picture below shows how you can achieve the trend by simply using a scarf and shoes and it's a great alternative for those that do not want to wear a complete outfit that is clashing. Another option as I have mentioned, is perhaps your handbag and shoes will clash, or your scarf and handbag, at the end of the day, it is all up to you ! :)  The more patterns the better ;) 



Picture : Pinterest

3 . Stripes and Floral

This is a combo that if you say it out loud sounds hideous, but when you see it on realise yeah, it is actually really nice. It is a look you CAN wear in winter as long as appropriate footwear and jacket is worn. The picture below is one that I found on Pinterest, and I think it is great inspo if you are thinking on putting together a similar outfit. The tanned bag brings out the hints of orange in the skirt and then the rest of the outfit does the talking. A little tip and one that I use to ensure my outfit comes together, is picking a colour that is in your pattern clash and basing the heels and handbag around that. In this way there is some co-ordination and it emphasises a particular colour in your outfit.




Picture: Pinterest

4 . Check and Floral 

The outfit pictured below is a pattern clash I did last summer with a check and floral print. I wanted to bring out the white in the skirt, so I matched it with white shoes and a white bag, and there was also a bit of white in my shirt too. I think this was the first time I experimented with a pattern clash, and I haven't look back since ;) (Despite my freak out in the mirror that day)



  


5. Polka dot and Pattern

I am a big fan of polka dot, I think it is a very girly pattern. It is yet another print that can be used in a pattern clash, as seen in the picture below. Just as I previously mentioned, there is a focus on one colour from the outfit, and that is the yellow which is brought out by her shoes. I am not really sure what pattern category her skirt falls into haha, but either way it is another example of a well put together look that combines originality and colour. A particularly nice combo for a night out with the girls.



Picture: Pinterest

Below is a picture of a pattern clash that I did a while back based around polka dots. I think that blue and pink bounce off each other quite well, so that is why I went for these trousers to go with it. Again, I wanted to bring out the white in the shirt, so I wore my trusty white sandals, and added a black waist belt to bring out the black in the trousers.   





SO, there you have it, my tips and tricks to working the pattern clash. I hope that you all took some inspiration from it, and will try out the trend for yourselves. I have given examples of only a few patterns that work together, but as the trend is all about clashing, wear whatever patterns you feel go together, and don't forget the most important accessory, CONFIDENCE! I have a few spare tickets for the pattern clash train if anyone has now changed their minds and wants to hop on?! (That was a really cringy joke wasn't it).

Stay stylish,

Emma x

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Fashion Chair | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig